“Skookum Joe” Anderson, David Jones, Frank “Pony” McPartland, J. R. Kemper, C. Snow and others, were credited with the discovery of the mines of the Maiden District. In May, 1880, “Skookum Joe” and Jones located placer mines in Virgin Gulch, later moving to Alpine Gulch. In June, 1880, several good placer mines were located. The first quartz mine was located by Anderson and Jones. The Maginnis mine, the Spotted Horse, and the Collar Mine were the best known properties. The ore in the Spotted Horse was known as “high grade” and was found in pockets. Over $3,000,000 in gold was taken from Maiden. The first building in the townsite of Maiden was erected in June, 1881, a log structure of local timber built by Pike Landusky and Joe Hamilton. In February, 1882, the post office was established by the appointment of F. P. Dunton as postmaster. Maiden had the first cornet band in Central Montana, with William Culver, captain. William Culver was the first photographer who is famous for many of the photographs taken of early Central Montana.There were 1200 people living in the actual townsite of Maiden but closer to 3000 in Maiden and vicinity. The camp was prosperous for about 15 years.